((509) 574-3600 Fax: 574-3654
Ways To Volunteer
Volunteer skills are an essential part of the daily operation of our Compass Care Hospice programs. Volunteers can work in many areas. The following information describes each area of service:
Direct Patient Care
In the direct care role, depending on your talents, you could provide one or more of the following services at the Cottage or in the patient’s home:
- Companionship and conversation
- Memoir, email correspondence, Letter writing
- Light housekeeping, yard work or shoveling sidewalks
- Home maintenance assistance
- Meal preparation
- Respite care so caregiver(s) can rest or run errands
- Playing an instrument or singing
- Paws to Heart visits from certified dogs and other animals
- We’re open to ideas that may increase the care of patients and their families during this transitional time.
Cottage In The Meadow
Cottage in the Meadow volunteers typically spend 2-5 hours each week providing services to families at the Cottage Welcome Desk, sitting with patients, answering phones, doing light clerical jobs, and supervising the needs of the family kitchen just to name a few.
Administrative & Community Assistance
Office volunteers play a vital role in helping us efficiently serve our community. Office volunteers help with:
- Computer Data Entry
- Preparing materials for clients
- Event support
- Host informational booths at local health fairs
- Inform the public about hospice care
Medication Delivery Volunteers
Medication Delivery volunteers do just that—they deliver medications to patients who otherwise would not have easy access to them. Volunteers pick up supplies from the Cottage or medications from Virginia Mason Memorial Pharmacy and deliver them to patients throughout the greater Yakima area.
Compass Care of Yakima provides individual grief counseling and grief support groups at no charge for anyone in the community who has experienced loss. We serve close to 1,000 community members over the course of a year. Visit our grief services page to learn more »
Bereavement volunteers participate by:
- phoning those who are grieving to inform them of our services,
- preparing birthday/anniversary cards, packaging mailings or preparing flyers to be sent,
- data entry,
- assisting with support groups, cooking for one, and kids grief workshops
- organizing and planning our semi-annual Celebration of Life
Join UsIf you are interested in volunteering for Hospice or would like more information about our volunteer program, contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (509) 574-6752 or fill out our Volunteer Application.